Holiday Safety Tips
The holidays are a festive time for us and our pets. However, due to
ongoing activities and constant distractions, we can easily overlook potential
dangers to our four-legged family members.
Take preventive measures to protect your pets this holiday season. Being
aware of these top five dangers could save you a trip to the veterinary
Holiday Tinsel and Ornaments.
Tinsel, while not toxic, is very attractive to pets, particularly
cats. The shiny, dangling decoration reflects light and can move in the
slightest draft - appearing to come alive to watchful critters.
The problem with tinsel is that once it's consumed, it can cause serious
injury to your pet. If not caught in time, this foreign body ingestion
could actually be fatal as it twists and bunches inside your pet's intestines.
Immediate veterinary care is required.
In addition, bright and colorful tree ornaments can attract your pet's
curiosity. Place glass, aluminum and paper ornaments higher up on the
tree. Pets can chew and swallow these fragile objects and not only can
broken pieces form sharp edges that may lacerate your pet's mouth, throat
and intestines, they could also create a choking hazard.
2. Holiday Lighting and Candles
Twinkling, shiny and dangling holiday lights — such as the icicle,
netting, garland, curtain, rope and candle varietal — may be another
source of danger to your curious pets.
Got a pet that likes to chew? Electrical shock may occur when a pet chomps
down on an electrical cord, causing tongue lacerations and possible death.
Check your holiday lights for signs of fraying or chewing and use a grounded
three-prong extension cord as a safety precaution.
If you have candles on display, place them in a hard-to-reach spot so
that your pets can not access them. Not only can pets seriously burn themselves,
but knocking over candles creates a fire hazard and may leave a trail
of hot wax that will easily burn the pads of paws and more.
3. Gift Wrap Ribbon
You may be tempted to fashion your pet with a decorative ribbon “collar”
but beware that this could become a choking hazard.
Also, it’s best to quickly discard ribbons and bows wrapped around
holiday gifts so that your curious companions won’t be enticed to
chew or swallow them. Ingested ribbon can cause a choking hazard and ultimately
twist throughout the intestines, leading to emergency surgery and even
4. Food Hazards
Festive events often mean edible treats — and lots of them. Unfortunately,
some of the most popular holiday goodies, such as chocolate, bones and
nuts, can be extremely toxic or fatal to pets.
- Different types of chocolate contain various levels
of fat, caffeine and the substances methylxanthines. In general, the
darker and richer the chocolate (i.e., baker’s chocolate), the
higher the risk of toxicity. Depending on the type and amount of chocolate
ingested, dogs might experience vomiting, diarrhea, urination, hyperactivity,
heart arrhythmias, tremors and seizures.
- Fat trimmings and bones are dangerous for dogs. Fat
trimmed from meat, both cooked and uncooked, may cause pancreatitis.
And, although it seems natural to give a dog a bone, a dog can choke
on it. Bones can also splinter and cause an obstruction or lacerations
of your dog's digestive system.
- Abundant in many cookies and candies, certain nuts
should not be given to pets. Almonds, non-moldy walnuts and pistachios
can cause an upset stomach or an obstruction of your dog's throat and/or
intestinal tract. Macadamia nuts and moldy walnuts can be toxic, causing
seizures or neurological signs. Lethargy, vomiting and loss of muscle
control are among the effects of nut ingestion.
5. Toxic Holiday Plants
They may be pretty, but some holiday plants are poisonous—even deadly.
As little as a single leaf from any lily variety is lethal to cats. Others
- Christmas tree pine needles can produce oral irritation,
vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, trembling and posterior weakness.
- Holly, commonly found during the Christmas season,
can cause intense vomiting, diarrhea and depression.
- Mistletoe, another Christmas plant, can cause significant
vomiting and diarrhea, difficulty breathing, collapse, erratic behavior,
hallucinations and death when ingested.
- Poinsettias can cause irritation to the mouth and
stomach and sometimes vomiting.
Taking precautions with pets during these festive times can help ensure
that you and your family will enjoy a happy—and healthy—holiday
Get Your Doggone
Good Cookbook Today!
Noah's Ark Animal Foundation's Doggone Good Cookbook is here!
These cookbooks make excellent gifts for
all your animal-loving friends and family! Cookbooks
can be purchased at the shelter Tuesday through Friday from 1:00–5:00,
and Saturday from 10:00-4:00. You can also order cookbooks
from us and have them delivered directly to your door. Cookbooks are
$15.00 each, plus shipping and handling. Your purchase of our
Doggone Good Cookbook makes it possible for us to continue
In addition to over 200 of the best recipes submitted by friends of Noah's
Ark, the cookbook is a "whose who" of Noah's Ark residents and alumni,
with over 150 pictures of our (and your!) beloved animal companions. We've
also got Happy Ending stories, a place to keep track of your favorite
recipes, and a chapter devoted to dog and cat treats. Take
a peek inside and then order your cookbook! Bone
2 Happy Ending Stories
Added in December***
Kuranda Dog Beds